When it comes to paying taxes in India, the PAN Card holds its prominent for ages. The Permanent Account Number is a mandatory document to file your Income Tax Returns (ITRs), along with the smooth processing of many financial transactions. It is also used as proof of identity and age in India.
Every PAN number allotted in India is valid for a lifetime. Hence, people who lose or misplace it don’t have to apply for a new one. All that you can do is apply for a duplicate PAN from the Income Tax Department.
What is a duplicate PAN Card?
The duplicate PAN Card is a document that is issued by the IT Department authorized NSDL or UTIISL when someone loses, misplaces or damages it. The IT Department of India has made is dead easy to help you get a duplicate PAN Card without hassles.
How do you get a duplicate PAN Card?
It is not complex to apply for a duplicate PAN Card in India. You can apply for it online on official websites such as NSDL or UTIISL. Applying online can save a lot of time and efforts at your end. Let’s have a look at the process of obtaining a duplicate PAN Card online:
- Go to the TIN-NSDL website and choose your application type as ‘Changes or correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing pan data). If you have lost, misplaced or damaged your PAN Card, then you should go ahead with the ‘Reprint of PAN Card’ without changing any information.
- You will need to fill in all the required information on the application form marked as mandatory and then submit the same.
- You will now be provided with a token or acknowledgment number and will be sent to your registered email ID that you had provided on the application page. You can use the token number for your future references and continue with the filing of the application.
- Now you will need to provide the necessary credentials in the ‘Personal Details’ page and select the mode of the submission of the PAN application form. It is up to you to send the same by using any of the available 3 modes such as:
- Forwarding the application and documents manually using Post to the NSDL – PAN Services
- Submitting digitally via e-KYC and e-Sign
- Submitting scanned images via e-Sign
- After you finally submit the form after filling the contact and other details, along with the document details.
- Your duplicate PAN Card will now be dispatched to your communication address within 14-15 days after the department receives your application for the same.
When do you need to apply for a duplicate PAN Card?
You can apply for a duplicate PAN Card in many instances such as:
- When you have lost or if the PAN card has been stolen – Most of the people keep PAN Cards in their wallets, and it is possible to lose it. It is one of the common reasons for applying for a duplicate PAN Card.
- When you have misplaced your PAN Card – There may be many occasions when you may have left the card somewhere and can’t recollect where you left it.
- When your PAN Card gets damaged – If your PAN Card is damaged, then reprinting of the PAN Card is the only solution for any damage to it.
- When you need to change any data – You may have wrongly put information in the PAN Card application form. You can get it corrected and apply for a reprint of the PAN Card.
If you were looking to apply for the reprint of the PAN Card, then you are now well aware of how to go about it.